Meet the Experts is a series from Carrot highlighting the healthcare professionals helping our Carrot members every day. From OB-GYNs to doulas, reproductive endocrinologists, and mental health professionals, Carrot members have unlimited access to Carrot Experts through our comprehensive fertility and pregnancy telehealth platform.
Name: Jeanna Lurie
Area(s) of expertise: Doula, birth education, yoga
Years of experience: 19
- Doula certification (Association of Labor Assistants and Childbirth Educators)
- Childbirth educator certification (Association of Labor Assistants and Childbirth Educators)
- Level I midwifery certification
- Pelvic Floor Yoga™ teacher full certification
- Yoga instructor 300-hour certification
- Nine Moons Prenatal Yoga certificate
- Ananda Expanding Light Prenatal Yoga certificate
- Santa Barbara Yoga Prenatal Yoga certificate
- Whole Birth Yoga Prenatal Yoga certificate
- Whole Birth Yoga Postnatal Yoga certificate
What’s your favorite thing about your job?
I'd say my favorite thing about my work is connecting with people. I have met so many interesting people from many different walks of life through my work. And because of the subject matter, I have the opportunity to connect in a profound and intimate way. I just love making those connections!
What do you like to do for fun?
Anything outdoors — hiking or going to the beach, especially. I love seeing live music (especially outside!) — and not a day goes by without dancing! I’m a big foodie and love going out to dinner, cooking, making craft cocktails, and anything else creative related to food. I’m pretty crafty and handy with the sewing machine, especially for Halloween costumes (my favorite day of the year). And baseball! I’m a huge San Francisco (and San Jose) Giants fan. The stadium is definitely one of my happy places. I’m missing it big time this season!
I’ve been happily married for 20 years and have three kids (born in 2001, 2008, and 2010). I had serious ballet training through college, but I never danced professionally. I have a degree in radio and television from San Francisco State and was on a path towards teaching media literacy to high schoolers when I shifted my career to birth work. I have a very inquisitive mind and live by the motto “never stop learning.”